Saturday, February 2, 2008

Bellville

After we got back to San Marcos Grammie and Paw Paw called and said that they wanted to take us to my great grandfather's ranch in Bellville, TX. So they came up to my Grandad's house and picked us up . The trip was about 2- 2 and a half hours long into the country. My great grandfather has about a hundred cattle .
When we got there he said that God had given him something from nature and that gift was a wild pig in a trap. So when his ranch hands got back we headed out to the pasture to take a "Look" at it .
(This is my great grandfather. He turns 89 in march and he works like a mule from 5 a.m to 9 p.m.)

When we got there the pig was snorting and running around inside the trap and I was to scared to go up and take this picture, but I did. Then Colby came over and started shooting it in the head with a .22 caliber pistol. The bullets just bounced off it's head, so they had to go to the backup plan which was of course another gun except this time the bullet didn't bounce off. It went through his skull and knocked him down. They lifted the trap and cut his throat which wasn't the most enjoyable thing to watch.
Then we took him up to the house, hung it up on a tractor, and cut it's head off. Blood came gushing out! OK, I'm joking, hardly any blood came out. Then they started cutting the skin away from his hind legs and worked their way down.
This is the head. Isn't it pretty?
This what it looked like after they skinned it and cut it down the middle. All the guts came out and my grandpa's dog was licking at the guts and growling at anyone who came near her food. Then they started pulling out the intestines and the organs and A.J came over with the heart and asked if I wanted to hold it. I refused and he threw it back in the pile. I would not recommend this job to the squeamish.
Then they started to cut it up and put it in the icebox. They used an electric saw to do this and it cut through about everything. The guy on the left is Colby and the one on the right is A.J.

The place hams come from is the legs. Think about this picture next time you're eating or preparing ham. Just don't turn vegetarian, I'm anti vegetables. I hope you enjoyed this post as much as I did. We had a great time in Bellville, but this was definitely my second favorite part. My favorite was hanging around with a bunch of rednecks and family.

2 comments:

christy w said...

Thanks Kory, I think it is going to be a while before I eat any pork.

Christy Wendel

Anonymous said...

Kory...that is um...really gross. But I'm glad you enjoyed yourself. Next time you blog something like this, you might want to let folks up in your area know that not ALL Texans do this kind of thing!